Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ramen Chicken Stir Fry

Ramen Noodles are one of my favorite poor college student meals. I mean a pack only cost approximately 20 cents, I believe, and other then the fact that they have no nutritional value to them at all they are quite yummy.



I greatly enjoy trying to think of new ways to make fun and interesting meals with these Ramen noodles that I love so much alone. Here is a chicken stir fry that I have come up with that involves Ramen noodles and other things that actually have nutritional value to them.


First start with a large wok and heat up some oil (enough to cover the bottom of the wok) and garlic. While this is warming cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces.


Next fry up the chicken until it is no longer pink in the middle. Add salt and pepper as desired to the chicken. While the chicken is cooking, cut up your the vegetables. I choose to use a green and red bell pepper, carrots, celery, and onion.


While I was cutting up the vegetables, and I started to throw them in with the chicken I realized that I had forgotten the onion!

Ah that's better.

Once the vegetables are all cut up, start throwing them into the wok with the chicken. I usually like to start with the carrots and celery because they take the longest to cook until tender.


I like to stir one vegetable in at a time; I believe I make less of a mess this way. However, it really doesn't matter I am a messy cook anyways.


Starting to look yummy.


After mixing in the onion, I cover the wok and let cook for a few minutes before adding the bell peppers.


Now if you didn't want to add Ramen noodles, you could stop here. But that would be boring!


Lastly add one cup of chicken stock (or water) per pack of Ramen noodles, I used three packs of Ramen noodles. Cook until liquid is evaporated and noodles/vegetables are tender.

Ingredients:
  • Canola oil
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons (heaping) garlic
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 3 carrots
  • 3 celery stalks
  • 1 onion
  • 3 packs of Ramen noodles
  • 3 cups of chicken stock or water

Directions:
  • Cover the bottom of a large wok with canola oil and add the garlic to the oil. Place over medium-high heat.
  • Cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
  • Once oil is warm, place the chicken in the oil, stirring occasionally and cook until no longer pink in the middle. Add salt and pepper as desired.
  • Slice the carrots and celery stalks into 1/4 inch thick slices. Also slice up the bell peppers and onion.
  • Once the chicken is cooked, add the vegetables. Start with the carrots, then celery, onion, and lastly the peppers.
  • When the vegetables are tender, add the 3 cups of chicken stock (or water) and the 3 packs of Ramen noodles. Cover the wok and stir occasionally. 
  • Stir fry is ready when the majority of the liquid has boiled off and the noodles and vegetables are tender.
I have lots of left overs of this stir fry which is a good thing because Big D is up at deer camp for a few more days and I'll need something to feed myself. (I was even eating some leftovers while I was writing this post.)

Love,
A Engineer in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...