Thursday, July 19, 2012

Michigan's Desert

Did you know that Michigan has a desert? Okay it's not a desert but it is about 2000 acres of sand. So maybe it's just a huge beach...

Anyways, Silver Lake Sand Dunes is a fun place where there is lots of sand, people and water. Best part is that you can drive around on a large portion of the Dunes and you can literally drive down to the beach of Lake Michigan (do I need to a Michigan hand map again). They don't allow people to drive on the beach but you can get to about 20 feet from it. 

Big-D, his cousins, his siblings and I all went to Silver Lake Sand Dunes for a weekend of camping fun. I think Hank had the most fun out of all of us to be honest. He learned how to swim (even though it is a natural instinct of the breed), got to dig really big holes on the beach, got way to much people food and was loved on by lots of people.

I would have to say that best part or at least the funniest part of the weekend was when I got pulled over for not having my taillight. I don't remember which one of Big-D's sisters were riding with me at the time but when I saw the cop pull out behind me I bet her $20 that he was pulling me over for my taillight; I won the bet. I found this funny because since I live in a little no-where town I drive mostly highways to get where I need to go, I drive between three big cities everyday and I drive by the Michigan State Troopers station on a almost daily basis, I haven't had a taillight for three weeks and none of these police officers have pulled me over...but no I get pulled over my a middle of nowhere county sheriff. To be completely honest I don't even know the name of the county sheriff department that  pulled me over.

Here are some pictures of the Silver Lake Sand Dunes.


From top of one of the many hills, looking out towards the beach and Lake Michigan.


Lake Michigan and some trees on the horizon.


You have to be careful when driving on the dunes due to the random trees that are out on the dunes. 


More trees and a red house...I don't know if I would like to live on edge of the Dunes for the fact how busy the Dunes are during the weekend.


A jeep and sand rail driving on the Dunes down by the beach.


Sunset from the Dunes is quite amazing.


More sunset.


Hank watching vehicles go up Test Hill.


Test Hill is the steepest hill on the Dunes and it truly test a vehicles/ATV ability to climb it.

I have many more pictures to share with you all but I think this is a good start. I had a decent vacation at least it was nice to have to work for FOUR days, but I did start to feel like a lazy bum after about day two.

Over and out,
A Engineer in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...