Saturday, December 3, 2011

Anything Goes Oatmeal Cookies

These are generally healthy cookies...it all depends on what you add to them. Last night I made two versions, a healthy version for me because Big D doesn't eat anything that's actually good for him. So I have to hide the goodness of these cookies by adding mini M&Ms and chocolate chips into the cookies.

I even had him try one of the good for you versions and he came to me with the face of dislike and said "did you put raisins in these cookies?"

I know better then that, I know he doesn't like raisins so why would I give him something with raisins; but I politely responded with "no there are no raisins in it, just other dried fruits that you have eaten before."

I even had to remove the Whey Protein Powder to make a few cookies for Big-D's sister who has LOTS of food allergies and was supposedly allergic to something in the protein powder.

I got this recipe from a P90X email that I received and it sounded yummy and I like healthy things so I thought I'd give it a try.

Ingredients:
  • 1 & 1/4 cup whole grain flour
  • 1 cup of quick (instant) oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/3 cup vanilla flavored Whey Protein Powder
  • 3/4 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, and/or dried blueberries (I choose dried blueberries & dried cherries) 
  • For Big-D's cookies I used 1/2 cup of mini M&Ms and 1/2 cup Milk Chocolate Hersey Chips
 Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350° F.
  • In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, oats, baking soda and Whey Protein Powder.
  • In a small mixing bowl combine the apple juice concentrate and the applesauce,
  • Then mix the applesauce and juice mixture to the flour mixture.
  • Next mix in the dried cherries and dried blueberries (or whatever else you choose to add in)
  • Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray and then using a cookie scoop (or tablespoon) drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
  • Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before placing on wire cooling racks to finish cooling completely.

Look at the yummyness (is that even a word, I don't know but I am making it one now.)

Enjoy,
Love ya
A Engineer in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...