Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Fajita Salad

I live with a some what picky eater, he will eat just about any meat I put in front of him but when it comes to vegetables I struggle. I mean he doesn't even like potatoes. When my mom found this out when were first dating, she asked how I could go out with someone that doesn't even like potatoes...I have a confession to make I am addicted to mashed potatoes and gravy, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for a reason! Anyways, I told Big-D that this year we are going to start eating a little bit healthier, I have a lighter class load since I am almost done with school, (when I say lighter I'm taking 15 credits instead of 18...) which means more time for cooking. My goal is to cook four meals a week and pack leftovers for lunch. 

At first I tried the whole, if you don't eat your salad you don't get to play...but that wasn't any fun for me so that went down the drain kind of fast. Then I tried, well I'll just put a vegetable/fruit on the table with every meal, this seems to work sometimes but he is picky and only eats certain vegetables and fruits. I have since asked point blank "What vegetables do you like so I know what to buy?" His answer "Green beans." That's its guys he likes green beans, the only vegetables that I can get the man to eat is green beans, I've tried corn and peas and he won't eat them. My cupboard is now stocked with green beans.

Then one night was I was lying in bed, that's where I do my best thinking it came to me, it came to me that he will eat the majority of the vegetables that I cook in something. I was quite successful in getting Big-D to eat most of a salad the other night.


(Because I am awesome I even made homemade tortilla chips.)


Combine salt, chili powder, cumin and chicken into a Ziploc and shake until evenly coated. Add oil and chicken to a skillet.


Once the chicken starts to brown, add onions.


Next add peppers, I choose green and orange. 


Cut up some lettuce and tomatoes, top with chicken.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 orange pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • Lettuce
  • Tomatoes
Directions:
  1. Combine salt, chili powder, cumin and chicken strips into a Ziploc baggie and shake until evenly coated.
  2. In a large skillet, add oil and cook until the chicken starts to brown. Add onions and green peppers. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink the middle and the vegetables are tender. Make sure to stir frequently.
  3. Top lettuce with chicken and tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips. 

Enjoy,
Over and out,
A Engineer in the Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. Haha, when you started with "I live with a picky eater", I thought it was Hank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people think I'm joking when I saw that Hank eats more vegetables and fruits then Big-D but it's true, Hank loves just about everything I give him, except shrimp he licked at it and then I gave him some broccoli and he was happy...weirdo dog.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...