Saturday, April 7, 2012

Chili

I love chili.

I love Tim Horton's chili...its amazing and put it with a bread bowl and a bagel and well I might as well of died and gone to heaven. I eat a lot of chili; I have it for breakfast at least twice a week. Don't judge me on my eating habits because that isn't the weirdest one that I have.

I decided to wing it when it came to making my own chili. I have never made chili before outside helping my mom or grandma. I tried to remember what they used and then I googled chili recipes to see what everyone else used as spices and just combined the spices that I liked.


For spices I choose: chili powder of course, cumin, oregano, crushed red peppers and paprika.


Place the spices into a Ziploc container.


Give it a couple good shakes


Once mixed place off to the side.


I like a nice meaty chili so I choose to use both ground sirloin and a sirloin steak (because I use steak whenever I can because I love steak), along with chili beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper and onion.


First melt two tablespoons of butter into a hot skillet, add ground beef and half of the onions and green peppers. Cook until the meat is no longer red.


Then scoop the meat mixture out of the skillet using a slotted spoon ( I used my spatula because I didn't feel like getting all of the dishes dirty) and leave the grease in the skillet.


Next add the rest of the onions and green peppers with the bite sized sirloin steak. Cook until the meat is slightly pink in the middle; don't worry it will be cooked all the way through in the crock pot.


Repeat the same method used with the ground beef mixture to remove the steak mixture.


Mix in the chili beans (include the sauce that is in the can).


Mix in tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and spices.


Let cook in a crock pot on high for two hours then reduce to low and let cook for another two hours.


Scoop into bread bowl (or a normal bowl, mug, cup, whatever you want to eat it out of) and add some cheese and enjoy.

Big-D loved this chili in the words of my favorite person in the world (next to Peyton Manning) "This is the best chili I ever had you are definitely making this again." Let me state that his grandma's and mom's chili are both really good.

I guess I am making it again.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb sirloin steak cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 medium sized onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 (28oz) can of tomato sauce
  • 1 (28oz0 can of crushed tomatoes
  • 3 tablespoons of chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • bread bowl (optional)
  • cheese (optional)
Directions:
  • Dice the onion and the green pepper, set a side. Cut the steak into bite size pieces.
  • Mix all of spices together.
  • Melt butter in skillet, add half of the green peppers and onions with the ground beef. Cook until meet is no longer red.
  • Using a slotted spoon scoop the meat mixture into a crock pot, leaving the grease in the skillet.
  • Add the rest of the green peppers and onions to skillet along with the steak pieces. Cook until the meet is slightly pink in the middle (don't worry when cooking in the crock pot it will finish cooking all the way through.)
  • Using a slotted spoon scoop the meat mixture into the crock, discarding grease properly when done.
  • Add chili beans and sauce, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and spices to the crock pot and mix together.
  • Cook on high for two hours and then reduce to low for two hours.
Enjoy,
A Engineer in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...