Thursday, April 25, 2013

Who Needs Fingers Anyways...

Let me tell you a little something about my job. I work for a company that makes steering components for most of the cars in the United States (including some foreign brands). I personally work a lot with the steering columns (the thing your steering wheel attaches to) and I-shafts (intermediate shaft, the thing that connects your steering wheel to the steering gear). The steering gear is essentially what moves your wheels when your turn the steering wheel. Any questions?

Now let me tell you a little something about a steering column. The rake lever (the thing that allows you to move the steering wheel up and down) has very sharp edges that have the potential to cut fingers open. Luckily for you, once the column is installed in a vehicle they put plastic around everything to protect you.

Can you see where I am going with this...?


Sliced my pinky finger on the rake lever yesterday.


Steel stampings are sharp. 


Co-worker are always impressed with how I manage to get hurt doing simple things. 


Did this to my thumb last Friday, when I went to catch a falling steering column. Don't worry I caught the part and sacrificed my thumb in the process but who needs fingers anyways. 

FYI, these aren't my only current injuries...I have a bruise on my triceps from some fixtures, a couple of blood blisters from a I-shaft and a bruise on my hip from a corner of a bench that I walked into.

I'm real safe at work. Anyone else tend to find themselves injured all the time? Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Over and out,
A Engineer in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...